In any successful business it is crucial to have a strategic plan in place to allow for future growth and development. Business improvement strategies can structure future growth, accelerate an already thriving company, or help an underperforming company refocus.
Our team can explore various ways in which you can improve the performance of your business, increase agility and the options available to help you. Analysis techniques can help you understand where gaps are, and help inform a range of solutions.
Our Business Improvement Services offering is aimed not only at underperforming businesses or companies in distress, but also at profitable businesses facing change management issues or requiring assistance with a growth strategy. Our qualified team of advisers have helped loss making companies return to profitability but are also experienced in advising good businesses on methods to further improve performance. We can also advise on dealing with succession planning and stakeholder exit strategies.
• Assess effectiveness of people and processes (Sales, Operations, Finance)
• Contract & margin review
• Customer & sector concentration
• HR planning
• Overhead optimisation
• Corporation & other taxes review
• IT strategy & effectiveness
• Insurance/H&S review
• Restructuring, downsizing & corporate simplification
• Develop & monitor profit improvement plans
• Internal strategies on key cashflow drivers
• Credit control, supplier and other payments
• Tax reduction & deferral
• Non-core asset disposal
• Cash retention
• Dividends & owners drawings
• Debt advisory - funding options and structures
• Prepare integrated financial models
• Raising external equity
• Financing – Fixed assets, Debtors etc
• Government funding assistance
• Funding for growth
• Managing relationships with external funders
• Enhance credit insurance ratings/levels
• Managing medium and long term debt & pension obligations – refinancing & rescheduling
• Appraise senior staff for roles – current & future
• Assess additional/replacement staffing needs
• Consider motivation and attitude
• Internal communication & incentivisation
• Improve management information
• Shareholder/Board/Staff goal alignment
Shareholder strategy and succession
• Board & senior management succession planning
• Shareholder exit planning
• Corporate strategy
• Digital strategy
• Company valuation
Partner and Head of Business Improvement Services
Donald, a Partner in our Glasgow office, qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 1998, where he trained with KPMG specialising in large company audits. Donald has industry experience following his role as Financial Controller of GE Aircraft Engines in Prestwick. Here he gained valuable commercial experience in an operational finance role. Donald now puts this practical industry experience to the benefit of his clients primarily in the owner managed sector.
Graham is Head of Corporate Finance in Scotland and is a well recognised and respected figure in the Scottish business community.
He brings a wealth of experience and business contacts in Scotland and across the UK in corporate finance, private equity, banking and corporate recovery to the firm.
Graham’s expertise is in advising and funding private equity backed management buyouts, acquisitions, disposals, business expansion and strategy in deals typically in the £5-150m Enterprise Value range, working with Private Equity Houses, companies, management teams and individuals. He also has experience in Corporate Recovery and Project Finance/PFI. He has worked with businesses from £1m turnover to over £500m; and with SMEs to fully listed PLCs, across a range of sectors.
Derek, Head of Business Restructuring & Insolvency in Scotland is a partner in our Glasgow office and a Chartered Accountant, with an Insolvency Permit issued by ICAS. He has over 20 years experience in all forms of corporate insolvency, and is able to provide clear and direct advice to companies in difficulty. With the benefit of having previously worked with a major clearing bank, Derek is well respected in the profession, and is regularly referred work by Scottish banks, and fellow professionals. Derek also has extensive experience of personal insolvency, and is able to advise on options open to individuals who find themselves in difficulty.
Blair, a Partner based in our Glasgow office is a qualified Insolvency Practitioner, with more than 20 years’ experience in providing insolvency and restructuring advice to businesses and individuals. Blair is authorised to act as an Insolvency Practitioner by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland. He is experienced in all types of corporate and personal insolvency solutions and can provide debt management and restructuring advice to companies, individuals and unincorporated businesses in financial distress.